Monday, June 29, 2015

The Soldier Standing in the Sun by Delaina

He’s a solider, and he is also a guard. Dressed in his uniform and FBI looking sunglasses, and shiny black shoes, he stands in the sweltering sun guarding the unknown solider. This solider is indeed unknown, but he doesn’t need a name to hold such representation and fame. The solider represents those who have been lost in war, found or not. Respectful visitors, there to pay their respects to those fallen, stare admiringly and respectfully at the tomb shining in the summer sunshine. As we waited for the changing of the guards, I noticed how the marine saluted the tomb. It felt different than most salutes I’ve seen. Serious, true, real, and that isn’t to offend anyone. I was just really struck at the seriousness and overall…well, brotherhood. That’s how I would describe it. The phrase “Never leave a man behind” ran through my mind all day long. Never forget a man either.
         The tomb of the Unknown Soldier made me reflect on this trip. Freedom, friendship, kindness, respect, bonding…all made me really think. Never forget your friends, and never leave them behind. Because in the end, they might be the only ones there for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment