Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Freedom Isn't Free by Delaina

     The Freedom Tour is all about freedom, and how much it has cost Americans. We have been asked questions about what freedom means to us individually. Most of us have said being away from our parents, and yes, that freedom has been very nice. Some have said other things, like freedom of speech, press, religion, and more. The answers have been spread out and diverse, yet we have all learned one true thing: freedom isn’t - and never will be - free. We take it for granted that we have democracy rather than a monarchy or communist government. We take it for granted that we can say what we want, post what we want, and be ourselves whereas elsewhere the tables are turned. I’ve learned to appreciate my writing more not as a hobby, or a possible career, but as a true freedom. I enjoy writing, and have now realized how much I am thankful that I can write on a blog like this, freely, without fearing punishment.

         Many have lost their lives to help aid our country in being free. All the memorials, from the ghost statues of Korean soldiers, the endless wall of names for Vietnam, the Revolutionary War, Civil War, and more have helped Americans living today be free, even though it meant them dying. Also, all the presidential memorials.  Lincoln, JFK, John D Roosevelt, the Clintons, and more have given empowering speeches to make sure we know we are strong, free, and can do anything we set our hearts to, as long as we do it united. Where would we be without the Civil Rights Movement? What if we had never had the Sit-Ins, or the Freedom Rides, or MLK Jr.? Where would our country stand? Free? Maybe not so much. United? Definitely not. I think I have realized that in our to have freedom, you have to be united. You have to have someone to back you up, and be there for you.

         Freedom means and symbolizes many things. To me, it makes me happy and really, empowered to know I can do anything that I want to, and that I set my heart to. Like writing, for an example. And stemming off of freedom, I can choose the people I want by my side. If anything, this trip has been great for bonding and budding friendships. All of us have been the blossoms on the tree, now starting to bloom. Is this trip going to end? Yes, sadly it will. But it will be with us forever, and I’m grateful to all the team leaders, the patient bus drivers (cough, cough, Nancy), Phil and the amazing Marybeth, and everyone else on this trip. It has been amazing, and I’m forever grateful for such an experience. Thank you, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment